Skip navigation

Salt Lake County

801-296-6700

Weber and Davis Counties

801-773-6900

Menu

Reduce Your Carbon Monoxide Exposure Risk

close up shot of carbon monoxide alarm near garageDo you have a gas-powered heater or other gas appliances and equipment in your home? If the answer is yes, then there is a chance—albeit minor—that carbon monoxide can leak out into your home. It’s important to note that today’s gas furnaces and boilers are built to be very safe and durable. But that doesn’t mean you should trust that you’ll never be at risk.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a byproduct of the fuel-burning process. Ideally, it vents safely outside of your home via a flue pipe, vent pipe, or chimney, but something can go wrong if your heater or gas-powered appliance wasn’t installed correctly or sustains damage.

Equip Your Home

Whether you own your home or are renting a space, it’s important that you check that the space has proper safeguards in place. You’ll want to make sure that there are CO detectors throughout the home (actually, this is the law) just the same as there should be smoke detectors. CO detectors should be installed within 15 feet of every bedroom or sleeping area.

When You Purchase a New Heater

When you buy a new heating system, it’s essential that you take the time to seek out a professional technician to have it installed. Calling in a local handyman or trusting the job to a “do-it-yourselfer” may seem to be the less expensive option. But, not only does this increase your safety risks, but it can cost you later on in potential repair problems, premature system failure, and poor efficiency.

Test Your CO Detectors

Each and every month, we urge you to text your CO and your smoke detectors by holding down the test button. The batteries should be replaced every 6 months, and that’s in addition to hardwiring the detectors to your home’s electrical system. Be sure you also schedule routine heating maintenance to ensure that your heater is in good condition and less likely to expose you to the risks of carbon monoxide.

Contact your HVAC and plumbing experts at Rentmeister Total Home Service today, for expert Layton, UT heating services and more!

Comments are closed.