Do you have a gas-powered heater or other gas appliances and equipment in your home? If the answer is yes, then there is a chance—albeit minor—that carbon monoxide can leak out into your home. It’s important to note that today’s gas furnaces and boilers are built to be very safe and durable. But that doesn’t mean you should trust that you’ll never be at risk.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a byproduct of the fuel-burning process. Ideally, it vents safely outside of your home via a flue pipe, vent pipe, or chimney, but something can go wrong if your heater or gas-powered appliance wasn’t installed correctly or sustains damage.