Luckily, it’s not too difficult to keep your air conditioning system going strong. All you need to do is to be aware of the most common causes of AC breakdowns and take the necessary steps to prevent or correct them before things get out of hand.
Living in a climate with long and hot summers, you know just how vital air conditioning in Layton, UT is, and that’s precisely why you need to keep it in top shape to avoid major discomfort and annoyance when the hot weather rolls around.
Watch Out For These Issues
Let’s look at 7 of the most common ways to keep your system running strong.
- Clean or replace your air filter. A dirty air filter restricts airflow and reduces the ability of your air conditioner to cool off your home. Clean your air filter every 30 to 60 days when you’re using your AC regularly or when the air conditioner is putting out less air than usual. Replace your air filter every 6-12 months.
- Clean the outside of your condenser unit. Check outside frequently to make sure that the outdoor units are free of dirt, leaves, or anything else that may affect the steady airflow of your AC unit. Use a brush to loosen the dirt or debris and vacuum up any mess.
- Shade your condenser unit. Your outside condenser unit can have a significant impact on your AC unit. It will need to work harder if the brutal sun rays directly hit your condenser. To help reduce this, shade your condenser unit. Be careful not to obstruct the airflow when doing this.
- Unblock your vents. This is another way to maintain steady airflow. Vents should be vacuumed regularly, and a quick walk through the house is needed to see whether vents are blocked by furniture, rugs, or toys (If you have toddlers, there may be toys IN the vents!)
- Close your blinds and curtains. Your AC unit will have to work much harder, and it will cost more to run if the sun is shining in and heating the interior of your home during the hottest part of the day. The best solution to this is to close your blinds and curtains.
- Adjust your thermostat. Adjusting the temperature 5-8 degrees up in summer will save you money and will help to ensure that your AC won’t have to work as hard and will run more efficiently.
- Have your unit serviced. Scheduling regular servicing can eliminate potential problems with your air conditioning before they begin. A professional technician can also give you expert advice on keeping your AC running in peak condition.
These tips will improve the efficiency of your AC unit and keep it running strong. If your air conditioning unit still isn’t running efficiently after working your way through these common solutions, you may need to chat with AC experts who provide excellent customer care and quality service.