The weather is slowly but surely cooling down, and soon you’ll be using either your fireplace or your heating system on a regular basis. If your heater is gas-powered, however, are you sure it’s ready to safely do its job? However minor the risk may be these days, there’s still a possibility that your gas-powered appliances can leak carbon monoxide into the house.
Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the fuel-burning process. In order to vent safely outside, all the components of your heating system and/or fireplace need to be in good working order: the flue pipe, vent pipe, chimney, etc. However, something can go wrong, and it’s important to know how to prevent it.
Purchasing a Heating System
It’s essential that when you go to make a heater purchase, you seek out trained professionals to do the installation. An inexperienced handyman is much more likely to make a mistake that can harm you later on. In addition to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, you could find yourself with constant repair issues, potential system failures, and poor efficiency.
What if You Rent?
If you are renting a house or an apartment, it’s vital that you ensure it has all of the proper safeguards in place. Regardless of what you may have been promised, it’s important that you have all gas-powered appliances professionally inspected before moving in. Additionally, you’ll want to ensure that there are smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout the home—which is now required by law in many jurisdictions.
Each month, you should test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors by holding down the test button. You should also replace the batteries every 6 month to ensure reliability. But that’s not all—even with these preventive measures, you should be scheduling annual maintenance services both for your heater and your fireplace.
For superior heating services throughout Syracuse, UT and beyond, contact Rentmeister Total Home Service today!