In one of our more recent blog posts, we went over some of the reasons that your water heater may be leaking. In the ideal situation, the leak will only warrant a repair. However, if your water heater is aging and/or hasn’t been well-maintained, then a replacement may be in order.
For the most part, your water heater likely does its job fairly quietly, and is tucked away in an unobtrusive spot, making it easy to forget about. But this also means that the need for Roy, UT plumbing services can go unnoticed.
Let’s First Discuss Prevention
There are a variety of ways to prevent your water heater from needing to be prematurely replaced—namely investing in routine professional maintenance. Having a qualified plumber check your system once a year—tightening loose bolts or fittings, cleaning burners, flushing out the tank, and replacing the anode rod—is a guaranteed way to extend the life of your water heater.
It’s during maintenance that our professionals will check for signs of minor issues that can turn more serious later on down the line. This gives you plenty of time to plan for repairs, before these damages do too much harm.
What Are the Signs I Need a Replacement Water Heater?
No matter how well cared for your water heater is, sooner or later it will need to be replaced. Typically, any signs that the water heater isn’t functioning as it should is reason enough to call our professional plumbers. But we’d also like to share some specific signs for you to look for:
- Rust-colored water. This happens if the anode rod wears out and the sides of the tank begin to rust instead. Do check to ensure that this is only coming from your hot water taps; if rust colored water is coming from your cold water taps too then it’s an issue with another part of your plumbing system, rather than the water heater.
- No hot water or lukewarm water. If you notice that your water isn’t as warm as it typically is, then there may be a thermostat issue or some other problem. But if it’s an aging system, the problem can be that it’s not working as efficiently as it once was and needs to be replaced.
- Hot water running out more quickly than it used to, or faster than you expect.
- Odd sounds coming from the tank, like gurgling or dripping.
- Puddles forming around the base of the heater.
- Unexpected increases in your water or energy bills.
The Importance of Professional Water Heater Services
It’s not a good idea to attempt to repair or replace a malfunctioning water heater on your own. Doing so can cause more harm than good, and leave you with a much higher bill in the long run. Instead, when you notice a water heater issue, turn off the heat source and shut off water to the water heater, and then give our pros a call. WE will assess the state of your system to determine the best next step.
Contact your water heater experts at Rentmeister Total Home Service today!